Saturday, September 29, 2007

Grandma Cookie Memories

I just wanted to write a short blog late tonight. My great grandma passed away early Thursday morning. For the first time since I left, I really feel like being home for a bit.

It's a little rough that I can't go home, but that's ok, because that can't stop me from keeping in touch with my family back home and from remembering great memories that I will always have.

As always, especially with my family, funny stories and general comedy are what get us through the toughest times. Memouse shared a couple of stories with me earlier today and it made me think, these stories that we share, we try to paint the most human and colorful stories that we have of someone to honor them, and that of course usually involves comedy. And then I though of my own stories of Grandma Cookie...

How she got her name first of all. Everyone else in my family called her Granny. I refused to, she was always G. Cookie probably because as most people visiting their Grandma's house, I asked for and was offered cookies... yum. The windmill variety was my favorite, sometimes oatmeal raisin. I had many a cookie while being watched when I was being watched all through elementary school by Grandma Cookie. I have so many memories there, too many to mention...

Then there are the random things you remember about a person, memories that don't mean much to anyone but you. For me, the most dear was being shown how to make a church and then a steeple and then...wait for it...wait for it...that's right, I was amazed at the first time I opened it and there were the people (if you don't know what I'm talking about, google it). This was my most representative memory of spending time with Grandma Cookie when I was younger. We also watch the price of right DAILY (her favorite was plinko, so is mine). I also believe that I was the only 7-year-old that was addicted to "The Young and the Restless" (I had a big crush on Christine Blair, better known as "Cricket". Anyways, enough babbling....

My last and best memories of Grandma Cookie allowed everything to come full circle. This summer, I was able to see her interact with Tryson. Both of them absolutely loved each other's company. I remembered my bond with her as a young child and it was a great moment. Then last month at the wedding I was able to get away from everyone while we were all still outside getting ready for pictures. I talked with her a little bit, enough to know that she was very happy and of course watching Amber's boys playing, I didn't realize it was the last time we would talk...

I should go, but there is so much to say...I'll just summarize by saying this: Spend as much time as you can with the older generations in your family. If you pick their brains and really sit down and talk, you'll be amazed with how much information and memories you will pick up.

-Chris

7 comments:

Kacie said...

Sorry to hear about your Grandma cookie!

Michelle said...

Sorry Chris :( I'm glad she got to see your wedding, I'm sure it made her really happy.

And dude, I used to watch the Young and the Restless with my grandma ALL the time. ;) Grandkids addicted to soap operas unite!

Unknown said...

Along the lines of Michelle's comment:

EVERYONE from our generation watched "Price is Right" with their grandparents growing up, and EVERYBODY'S favorite game was Plinko...

In fact, if heaven really exists, I'd like to think it's one giant Plinko game.

Thanks for sharing.

Justa said...

I'm not a huge fan of the Price is Right but I did grow up with it and my favorite game is Plinko. Grandparents are one of those special miracles (sp?) God sends us. If we are fortunate enough we get to hold on to them until we are old enough to realize just how special they are. Even though it is a difficult time, you have been given a very special gift.

Unknown said...

Well everyone's already said it but you get one more. Sorry about your great grandma Chris. That really sucks. But at least you have good memories of her and especially your last one of her was from a happy time and a day that you'll never forget.

Other than that, I hope all is well in the Washington Williams' household! I'm sure it is! =)

miloman10 said...

Hey, Chris, thanks for what you wrote about Granny Cookie. It did my heart good. I truly wish you could be here. There is such great comfort in family. You are right , distance is only a number! Love you all, Great Auntie Donna

maria said...

hey chris
I'm so sorry to here about your g'ma.

kisses and hugs to all of you and I miss you guys so much.

love always,
maria